Brown’s Bay (1815)
This vessel had been extensively rebuilt, including at least a partial replanking. It was extensively preserved, and included a centerboard and part of a centerboard trunk, a complete rudder with hardware, and a nearly complete transom. The top of the keel was notched for 26 floor timbers. A single drift bolt went through keelson, floor timbers, and keel. A heel connected the keel and sternpost.
The hull was double-clinker planked from the keel to the 11th strake. Rivets were square shafted and made of copper, as were the roves. The outer planks were nailed to the frames with iron nails. The 11th strake was a transitional unit, clinker aligned along its lower edge and carvel a abutted along its upper edge. Strakes 12 and 13 were single carvel planks, 3.2 cm thick. Strake 14 was a chainwale, constantly 25.4 cm wide and 4.5 cm thick; it was composed of two planks joined by a hook scarf. It was fastened to the frames with iron nails and the port strake still had one of the chainplates attached.1
1. Richard Steffy, INA Shipdata Project, Texas A&M University.
2. Amer, C. F., “The Construction of the Brown’s Bay Vessel,” M.A. thesis, Texas A&M University, (1986).