Brown’s Ferry (1740)
This vessel sank in the Black River of South Carolina and was dated by artifacts. It was loaded with about ten thousand bricks. It has been preserved in polyethylene glycol and is now on display in the Georgetown Museum. There was no keel or keel plank. Rather, three yellow pine planks, each 7.6 to 8.9 cm thick, formed the flat base of the hull.
A hull analysis by Fred Hocker revealed that only five frames were standing frames, the rest being shaped by means of battens or planks fixed to those standing frames.1
1. Richard Steffy, INA Shipdata Project, Texas A&M University.
2. Hocker, F. M., “The Brown’s Ferry Vessel: An Interim Hull Report,” in D. H. Keith and T. Carrel (eds.), Underwater Archaeology Proceedings of the Society for Historical Archaeology Conference, Kingston (1992). Also, WSBIS, 162-68.