Oseberg (ca. 830)
These extensively preserved remains were excavated from a burial mound in Norway in 1905. They were reassembled and put on display, along with the Gokstad ship, in the Viking Ship Museum near Oslo. The burial contained skeletons of two women and a variety of expensive equipment. All thirty oars used for propulsion survived. The lowest eight strakes on each side of the keel were shaped with cleats to which the frames were lashed. The tenth strake was an L-shaped form of wale called a meginhufer. Bottom planking is 2 cm thick; the two highest strakes are 2.5 to 3 cm thick. The Oseberg vessel had a single square sail and fifteen oars on each side. 1
1. Richard Steffy, INA Shipdata Project, Texas A&M University.