é To close this page click on the name again
Between 1509-1534 Sevilla la Nueva was the major port and capital of the Spanish colony of Jamaica. Lacking rich mineral resources, the island played an important role by supplying foodstuffs and animals to the Spanish conquistadors in the early colonizing ventures into Central America. Abandoned in 1534, and only rediscovered in 1937, Sevilla la Nueva was excavated by Capt. Charles Cotter between 1953-1968. The resultant collection of artifactual material consisted of Spanish and Arawak ceramics, masonry, beads, metal artifacts and faunal material.
The ceramic and faunal remains associated with the three major features demonstrated the function of each structure. These remains also illustrated the foodways of the early colonists and their adaptation to their new environment. Finally they indicated the level of foreign trade to this early colony.
Download Pdf of Thesis