ANTH 313, HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY
NAME_____________________________ February 27, 1996
I. Identify. (20 points, 2 points each)
1. Historical Archaeology
2. Material Culture
3. datum point
5. Sommersville, California
6. Angle rods
8. Terminus post quem
9. Texas Archaeological Research Laboratory
1. During the excavation on any given historic sites (any archaeological site) you would expect to find
All of these are collectively referred to as ________________________________.
1. List two surface indicators the might indicate the presence of a buried archaeological site:
____________________ and _____________________________
2. Two scientifically based methods of finding buried metal on a site are:
____________________ and _______________________
3. T wo methods of detecting buried features, such as wall or pits in an archaeological site are:
_____________________ and _________________________
4. Archaeological sites can by located by chemicall testing for the presence of
5. List three computer applications/software that are indispensable for most modern archaeological excavations.
_____________________ and _________________________, and __________________________
6. English decorated table ware goes through 6 major stages, list the stages and the dating for ea
delft/slipware___________________________________, date of ____________________
sgsw___________________________________, date of ____________________
wheildon___________________________________, date of ____________________
creamware___________________________________, date of ____________________
Pearlware___________________________________, date of ____________________
whiteware___________________________________, date of ____________________
7. What role did Josiah Wedgewood play in English ceramic technology?
8. What was the first, cheaply made, mass produced, decorated tableware?
9. All archaeological sites found on public land in the state of Texa are protected and controlled by what agency?
In his discussion of foodways and the development of cermaic in the New England colonia sites, James Deetz indentifies three stages, list the three periods and give the date of each, and three major characteriistic of each stage, if requested.
1.____________________________________period, date ______________________
2.____________________________________period, date ______________________
3.____________________________________period, date ______________________
Archaeological sites are most commonly dated on the basis of two laws taken from geology. These are the Law of Association and the Law of Superposition. Taking these two laws into consideration, and based on the following stratigraphy,
Given, that you find the following clay kaolin pipe
This pipe can be best dated on the based on the ________________________________
This pipe can be reasonably dated on the basis of the ___________________________
This pipe can be generally dated on the basis of the ___________________________
Assuming that you found 120 pipe stems on a surface survey of a site which had the following stem bore diameters:
What is the likely date of the occupation of the site? Give the pipe stem diamerter date forumula and the resulting date. Include your math/calculations.
Given that you find the following ceramics on the same site, what date would you arrive at using the mean ceramic date formula?
Based on all of the above, what is the most likely range of years that the site was occupied?