Port Royal: Chronology of Events

 
1655 British capture Jamaica and fortify harbor at Point Cagway.  
1656 18 houses and 7 huts built on point; work begins on Fort Cromwell and Palisade.  
1657 Committee recommends timber fort to be rebuilt in stone.  
1658 State storehouse, church, market house, and forge built. Brickmaking starts. Three rows of houses constructed. Palisadoes built on eastern edge of town.  
1659 Town runs out of bricks (now imported). New courthouse built of oak.  
1660 Restoration of British monarchy under Charles II.  
1662 Point Cagway renamed Port Royal. Fort Cromwell renamed Fort Charles. Town consists of 300 houses and 740 people.  
1668-1669 Captain Morgan attacks Portobello and Maracaibo.  
1670 Hurricane drives fleet ashore. Captain Morgan attacks Panama. Treaty of Madrid.  
1674 Captain Morgan is made Deputy Governor. Population of Port Royal is 2,181 people.  
1678 Fort Rupert and Fort Carlisle rebuilt by Captain Morgan.  
1680 St. Peter's church constructed.  
1683 Port Royal fortified with 145 large cannon.  
1684 Port Royal cut off from mainland.  
1688 Channel drained and bridged.  
1691 2,000 houses in Port Royal. Population is 6,500, including 2,500 slaves.  
1692 Major earthquake causes parts of Port Royal to slide and sink beneath the sea. Over 2,000 people are killed. Land area reduced from 60 to 25 acres. Port Royal once again becomes cut off from the mainland.  
1694 French attack Jamaica. Fort Charles rebuilt. Kingston established as a major town.  
1703 Disastrous fire consumes almost all of Port Royal except the castle.  
1703-1722 Significant revival of Port Royal.  
1722 A severe hurricane and two earthquakes destroy shipping and inundate town. 400 people are killed by falling houses. Following the hurricane, an assembly passes a law prohibiting private citizens from living in the town. This law is largely ignored, although from this date on, Port Royal ceased to exist as the major town in Jamaica. However, Port Royal remained the main naval base for the island, so considerable activity continued.  
Other major earthquakes have occurred in: 1744, 1770, 1812, 1824, 1858, 1867, 1907, 1914, 1956.  
Severe hurricanes were also recorded in: 1712, 1722, 1726, 1744, 1751, 1782, 1786, 1787, 1805 (2), 1815, 1818, 1830, 1884, 1886, 1903, 1951.  
1956 Link's excavation of Fort James and Littleton's Tavern.  
1966 Robert Marx excavates along Fisher's Row and Lime Street.  
1969-1970 Philip Mayes' excavation of the Naval Yard.  
1971-1972 Antony Priddy's excavation of New Street.  
1982-1990 Donny L. Hamilton conducts INA/TAMU excavations around Queen and Lime Streets.