DONATIONS / SPONSORS F
Kalamazoo, MI 49001
Toll Free: (800) 888-5054
Tel.: (616) 385-5050
Fax: (616) 385-0197
- These small disposable containers are used for a multitude of purposes in the laboratory, from wet and dry storage containers, to small mixing bowls and miniature conservation tanks..
5005 Riverway, Ste. 100
Houston, TX 77056
Toll Free: (800) 662-9850
Fax: (713) 622-7548
- Fiberglass rods of different diameters (1, 2, and 3 in.) are used to support the wooden hull timbers during the reconstruction of the Belle
. Fiberglass was chosen over steel, as it is lighter, more chemically resistant, easier to work, and has sufficient tensile, sheer, and compressive strength to adequately support the waterlogged timbers.
Fiberglass Grating & Structural Shapes
- Approximately 1,200 square feet of grating was used to provide the working floor of the lifting platform in the new conservation vat for the Belle
. The non-skid fiberglass grating enables the conservators to safely stand on the platform while working on the wooden hull timbers. Pultruded structural shapes (channel, angle, round rod, and square tubing) is used to support the Belle
during her reconstruction and conservation. Fiberglass is an ideal material for our purposes, since it is easy to work with, very strong and lightweight, and is corrosion-resistant.
Vacuum Bag Film
Film Technology, Inc.
P.O. Box 230228
Houston, TX 77223
Phone: (713) 921-3456
Fax: (713) 928-2324
- The wooden hull timbers are no longer strong enough to support themselves, so we have designed and are going to build a fiberglass composite sandwich to form a hidden internal supporting framework. Vacuum bagging will give us the necessary strength-to-weight ratios, as well as allowing us to reduce the overall thickness of the frame.
Scissors and Shears
7811 West Stewart Ave.
Wausau, WI 54401
Phone: (715) 842-2091
Fax: (715) 848-5528 Fax
- High-quality scissors and shears are a valuable tool in any lab and are used for a multitude of different purposes.
1735 Market Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Phone: (215) 299-6000
Fax: (215) 299-6067
- The hydrogen peroxide is used as a shock treatment in the conservation tank to combat the growth of algae and bacteria.
- The foam is used to make form-fitted storage containers that are needed for some of the Belle
's delicate artifacts.
Stainless Steel Vats - Five 100-gallon stainless steel vats are on loan from the Texas A&M University Food Protein Research and Development Center. They are used to store artifacts prior to the conservation process. The tanks are also used to hold the various solvents used to dehydrate the organic artifacts prior to their consolidation.
Fiberglass Cafeteria Trays & Aluminum Tray Carts - Fiberglass trays and aluminum carts donated by Texas A&M University Food Services are used to transport artifacts while processing, as well as to store drying artifacts following their various conservation processes.
Foredom Electric Co.
16 Stony Hill Rd.
Bethel, CT 06801-1039
Phone: (203) 792-8622
Fax: (203) 790-9832
Flex Shaft Drill - The Flex Shaft Drill is one of the indispensable tools of a conservation lab. It is used on artifacts of various materials at different stages of conservation. Most often it is used on the epoxy casts of artifacts, on the finishing touches of ferrous and non-ferrous artifacts, and even on artifacts conserved using the new silicone oil/polymerization techniques. This tool provides the conservator the dexterity, power, and finesse necessary to complete the conservation process.
12-oz. Paper Cups
- Polyethylene-coated paper cups are used in the lab for a variety of purposes, from mixing up small batches of mold-making compound and chemicals to being used as a container when weighing artifacts.
Fox Scientific, Inc.
8221 E. FM 917
Alvarado, TX 76009
Toll Free: (800) 369-5524
Fax: (817) 783-3571
- These are an indispensable tool in the conservation lab and are used for various purposes, from cleaning an artifact to applying a consolidant.
Calipers - Stainless-steel dial calipers and digital calipers are used to obtain precise artifact dimensions, an essential step in artifact documentation throughout the conservation process.
Fuji NDT Systems
1055 Stevenson Court, Bldg. 105
Roselle, IL 60172-2300
Phone: (800) 323-2546
Fax: (630) 582-2292
X-ray Processing Equipment & Film - Fuji has very generously provided the necessary equipment and supplies to develop X rays in the lab. A wide range of both industrial and medical X-ray film, cartridges, and intensifying screens are now in use, along with a new automatic RG II X-ray film processor that has improved both the efficiency and quality of the X rays. The ability to take and develop X rays is one of the most valuable diagnostic tools that a conservator can have in the lab. It shows in detail what is hidden inside a concretion, and generally dictates the conservation treatment that follows.
[an error occurred while processing the directive]