Port Royal, 1688.
Map (part only) by John Taylor, a visitor to Port Royal.
This map of Port Royal shows a stylized and diagrammatic view of the city, as reproduced by John Taylor. Perched
precariously on the end of the unstable sand spit, Port Royal was a bustling international trading center. The
numerous ships in the harbor, all flying the English flag, provide evidence of its importance to the English Crown.
On closer inspection, this map, unlike the Hack map of a few years earlier, provides a general impression of the architectural nature of Port Royal.
One important factual detail on this map is that Lime Street, in the center of town, is shown continuing through
to Thames Street. Archaeological
excavation by Dr. Donny Hamilton, showed this
to be true.
|SEE OTHER PORT ROYAL MAPS
|GO TO THE PORT ROYAL ARCHIVES