Port Royal, pre-1692.
Corrected scaled map.

This early map (illustrated also as Map 4), which contains a scale, was used to construct a new and accurate map of Port Royal as it looked in the late 17th century. The center of the tower of Fort Charles, the southwest corner of St. Paul's Church and the center of Fort Rupert (both of which were excavated by Philip Mayes), and the corner of Queen and Lime Streets (excavated by Hamilton) provided sufficient fixed points to draw a corrected map. When compared with present-day evidence, the adjusted version reveals that errors of between -2.5 to 11 percent exist in early maps of the city.




FIND OUT MORE ABOUT HAMILTON'S EXCAVATED BUILDINGS

SEE OTHER PORT ROYAL MAPS

GO TO THE PORT ROYAL ARCHIVES